Indie dev Ternox claims Sony canceled its PS5 deal and will remove STONKS-9800

An indie studio behind the popular Steam title STONKS-9800 says Sony has canceled its PlayStation agreement without explanation—claiming the PS5 release is off, and that existing games on the PlayStation Store will be removed as well.

What Ternox claims Sony did

Independent developer Ternox, known for STONKS-9800, posted on X that Sony unilaterally terminated its contract as both a developer and publisher for PlayStation. In the same message, the studio claimed Sony provided no reason for the decision.

Ternox also stated that all of its currently available games on the PlayStation Store will be taken down following a cutoff date of August 23.

Why players are talking: STONKS-9800’s Steam popularity

While STONKS-9800 is not fully released, it has been available as an early-access title on Steam. The game has drawn significant attention, with roughly 3,000 reviews on Steam and about 95% of those reviews described as positive—an unusually strong reception for a niche indie project.

What kind of game STONKS-9800 is

Ternox describes STONKS-9800 as a financial simulator, though it does not chase hyper-realism. Instead, it leans into an economic sandbox featuring RPG and visual novel elements.

Players can spend much of their time investing, acting like a CEO, buying properties and cars, improving personal relationships, or experimenting with the game’s different systems. The presentation is also notable for its 80s anime look.

Ternox’s statement includes allegations about support

Ternox’s complaint extends beyond the cancellation itself. The studio says it was told about the contract termination via a Sony communication, but that it isn’t receiving responses to its follow-up emails.

In its post, the developer framed the situation as sudden and unexplained—leaving the studio unsure what options it has next.

What happens next for PlayStation players

If Ternox’s claims are accurate, the timeline is simple: the studio says STONKS-9800 will not arrive on PS5, and its existing catalog on the PlayStation Store will be removed after August 23.

  • PS5 release: canceled, per Ternox’s message
  • PlayStation Store availability: removal of the studio’s current games after August 23

Community reaction: outrage and broader frustration

Players have taken to social media to criticize PlayStation in this case. The backlash appears to be happening alongside existing frustration toward the company’s broader stance on preserving physical releases—adding fuel to an already tense sentiment.

For now, it remains unclear why Sony made the decision, since Ternox says it received no justification and alleges that its emails aren’t being answered.

Marcus Chen is a gaming journalist and industry reporter with more than 10 years of experience. He covers releases, announcements, and trends across PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo, and keeps a close eye on the indie scene and esports. Previously an editor at several gaming publications, he now writes news, reviews, and breakdowns of major industry moments—from big showcases to updates on popular titles. His work is aimed at players who want a clear, fast read on what happened and why it matters.